Company: NRG Energy, Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built
on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation
portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500
company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations,
reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform
serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with
electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable
solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter
energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail
electricity providers serve almost three million residential and
commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG
Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
The outside operator is responsible for the safe, reliable,
efficient, and environmentally compliant operation of all Plant
equipment under his/her control in accordance with written plant
procedures and under the direction of Operations Management and the
Shift Team Lead. In the absence of specific orders and/or
directives, the outside operator exercises initiative, using
experience and good judgment in Plant operation. Complies with
company policies including those concerning safety, environmental,
and conduct of operations.
- Firm understanding of the safety and environmental over
production expectations at NRG.
- Follows NRG Conduct of Operations.
- Provides safe, efficient, reliable and environmentally sound
operation of power plant equipment in outside spaces such as gas
turbine auxiliaries, generator auxiliaries, pump, valve, and
electrical circuit breaker operation (up to 4160 volt), water
purification plant equipment operation and other duties as assigned
during normal and emergency operation controlling flow of
- Recognize safety hazards and follows safety guidelines for
personal protection, protection of fellow workers and the
protection of the public.
- Assist in providing skill enhancement training to other
personnel, and on-the-job training to less skilled Plant
- Knowledgeable of environmental rules and regulations, and
effectively apply them to all work situations.
- Periodically perform equipment manipulations from field DCS
panels as required.
- Manipulate equipment to support Lockout/Tagout process.
- Assist in troubleshooting operational problems.
- Apply knowledge of steam power plant operations and basic power
plant principles to daily decision-making and work tasks.
- Operate computers, printers, and associated software to support
plant operational and reporting needs.
- Discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals from
- Work limited supervision.
- Power Plant Environment - Work both inside and outside in all
temperatures and climate conditions in accordance with
- Work with large rotating equipment, energized electrical
equipment in high noise areas, and/or in confined places, on
elevations in excess of 200 feet, or from platforms at heights of 5
feet or greater.
- Must be prepared to work irregular or rotating shifts and
respond to emergency callout 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Ability to work in mentally stressful environments: must be
able to react to crises where immediate action is required to
correct or curtail potentially damaging or hazardous
- Work with and around hazardous and non-hazardous materials
(reference the waste management guidance manual).
- High School diploma or GED.
- 3-5 years Plant Operator experience in a Power Plant
environment or comparable industry.
- Qualified Outside Operator with demonstrated Combined Cycle
- Strong operational knowledge and experience in operation of
GE7FA/HRSG combined cycle equipment, steam turbines & auxiliaries,
and water plant operations.
- Successful completion of Gregory plant specific operations up
to and including Control Room Operations Training Program.
- Able to achieve the role of control room operator within 2
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Provide guidance and leadership to the plant through normal and
abnormal plant operations while ensuring team safety, environmental
compliance, and plant reliability.
- Knowledge of steam power plant system operations and basic
power plant principles to daily decision making and work
- Knowledge of and ability to operate various equipment controls
with a firm understanding of the effect each has on the total
- Strong knowledge of plant systems in order to effectively
implement LOTO program.
- Ability to work without supervision inspection while carrying
- Ability to perform multiple task or assignments at the same
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated
- Ability to receive, analyze, comprehend, and input data (DCS,
Mark VIe, etc.).
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and make sound decisions to
resolve them based on skill area knowledge of plant operations and
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment and to
direct activities of others and provide job instructions.
- Ability to positively influence others toward appropriate
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and listening ability
to communicate effectively with management, co-workers, clients,
and vendors, equipment, plant, or system conditions.
- Ability to use addition, subtraction, multiplication and
division to perform flow, pressure and meter calculation.
- Ability to learn mechanical & electrical controls, equipment
and power plant equipment operation.
- Ability to monitor, record, and analyze data available through
the use of shift logs, instruments, recording charts, annunciator
systems and other monitoring devices.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, schematic diagrams,
procedures and technical manuals.
- Ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals
from control panel.
- Ability to discern assorted colors.
- Ability to assist others in performance testing.
- Ability to Lockout/Tagout equipment per NRG's Lockout/Tagout
- Ability to implement Plant Emergency Procedures as needed.
- Currently have and can obtain within 30 days, a valid Texas
- Climb stairways, ladders, and work from aerial devices.
- Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by
walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting,
twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with
hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and
extended from body to complete repairs.
- Lift, carry, position and use tools and/or equipment (weighing
up to 50 lbs.) in awkward positions, swing various weights of
sledgehammers, stoop and bend to reach valves, pull on chain-falls
- Ability to twist the body and neck while driving company
vehicles or operating company equipment.
- Performance of duties may cause frequent jarring of the
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as
required i.e.steel-toed boots, goggles, safety glasses, chemical
- Have ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory
- Ability to discern assorted colors
- Meet NRG fitness for duty requirements.
This job description reflects an assignment of essential
functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be
assigned. Other duties and tasks may be assigned to this job at the
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To
the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective
bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug
testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and
alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the
applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Keywords: NRG Energy, Inc., Corpus Christi , Station Tech, Other , Gregory, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!