Assistant/Associate Librarian, Cataloging and Metadata
Company: American Library Association
Location: Corpus Christi
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Assistant/Associate Librarian, Cataloging and Metadata
Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi
Library Operations Staff
Proposed Minimum Salary
Corpus Christi, Texas
The Mary and Jeff Bell Library at Texas A&M University-Corpus
Christi (TAMU-CC) invites applications for a Cataloging and
Metadata Librarian at the rank of Assistant or Associate Librarian.
This position supervises all aspects of cataloging in the library,
primarily using MARC and RDA. The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
works collaboratively with other librarians and departments,
including Special Collections and Archives, to ensure
discoverability of library resources. The ideal candidate will be
comfortable working with both physical and electronic resources,
and will demonstrate an understanding of how cataloging relates to
excellent service to the university's students, faculty, and staff.
This is a non-tenure track faculty librarian position. Faculty rank
will be determined upon qualifications.
* Works collaboratively with all departments of the library to
ensure the timely and effective online discovery of the library's
print, non-print, electronic, and special collections materials.
Oversees the cataloging of materials for the Bell Library and
Driscoll Children's Hospital library. Performs original and complex
copy cataloging using the library's integrated library system and
associated tools, in combination with current cataloging/metadata
standards and practices.
* Provides leadership in establishing library policies and
procedures governing the creation and maintenance of catalog
records and metadata to facilitate discovery and access. Creates
and maintains cataloging templates in the ILS. Works closely with
colleagues to evaluate and document policies and procedures for
cataloging, catalog maintenance, and creation of non-MARC metadata.
Assists in developing goals and objectives for cataloging within
the overall context of department and library goals and
* Responsible for creating and maintaining import profiles for
loading vendor-supplied catalog records. Works with Library
Technology Services and vendor technical support to develop
procedures for importing/exporting, batch data processing,
publishing, and integrating records from multiple sources in MARC
and non-MARC schema.
* Maintains a working knowledge of existing and emerging cataloging
and metadata standards, tools, and best practices, as well as
developments in interoperability. Provides leadership in the
library's implementation of new cataloging and metadata
* Collaborates with Special Collections & Archives and other
applicable library units to identify and execute projects to
improve discoverability of the library's unique collections.
* Provides training for staff with cataloging responsibilities,
including preparation of documentation related to cataloging and
catalog maintenance functions in consultation with the Director of
Resource Management & Discovery.
* Responsible for the accuracy and integrity of the library
* Provides library reference services in person, by phone, and
online, as needed.
* Serves as a subject liaison and participates in subject-specific
collection development and departmental liaison work, including
providing subject-specific information literacy instruction,
providing research consultations, maintaining subject guides, and
creating online point-of-need tutorials as needed. Assists with
first year instruction, particularly in subject area learning
communities, and instruction in upper level courses in liaison
* Participates in scholarly/creative activities and serves on
library, university, and/or professional committees.
* Increases professional competence through formal and/or informal
study and professional development activities.
* Supervises 1 full-time employee.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
The Mary and Jeff Bell Library provides resources and services to
assist users with their research and information needs. Over
million physical items,over 300 online databases and over 150,000
print and electronic journals through subscriptions and full-text
databases contain scholarly material to assist students in
completing research projects or assignments. The Library provides
both in-person and virtual reference service, research skills and
information literacy instruction, interlibrary loan, an I-Create
makerspace lab, and over 170 computers for research and coursework.
Special Collections and Archives houses a wealth of resources
focusing on Corpus Christi, the Coastal Bend, and South Texas.
* Master's degree in library science (or equivalent) from an
* At least two (2) years of recent, full-time cataloging
experience, including experience performing original and complex
copy cataloging of library materials.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and experience applying cataloging
standards and practices, such as RDA, MARC 21 format, LC
Classification, authority control, etc. Ability to implement new
cataloging standards and/or procedures.
* Experience managing vendor-supplied catalog records (bulk
* Demonstrated understanding of LRM (FRBR/FRAD/FRSAD)
* Strong service orientation and awareness of end-user experience
and needs in relation to catalog records and cataloging
* Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in work environment,
including learning new software tools.
* Understanding of emerging trends in cataloging, technical
services, and academic libraries.
* Demonstrated ability to apply creative and critical thinking
skills to analyze problems and procedures.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Experience working as a cataloger in an academic library.
* Experience using standard cataloging tools such as OCLC
Connexion, Classification Web, and RDA Toolkit.
* Experience cataloging special collections books and
* Experience using Alma library management system, including the
use of import profiles.
* Experience batch processing MARC records, including batch loading
and/or batch editing, using MarcEdit, Alma normalization rules, or
* Experience evaluating metadata standards and determining
appropriate standards for projects and collections.
* Understanding of metadata issues related to the discovery of
academic resources with web-based search platforms (e.g., Summon,
* Demonstrated understanding of principles of Linked Data and RDF
as they relate to cataloging.
* Experience cataloging with Dublin Core or other non-MARC metadata
* Proficiency with MS Excel.
* Experience teaching information literacy skills.
All required documentation must be submitted to be considered for
A completed application will include:
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Three professional references including name, address, title,
telephone number, and email addresses- including a current or
The job posting will remain open until a finalist has been
selected. Review of applications will begin Monday, April 26,
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a
criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon
the institution's verification of credentials and/or other
information required by the institution's procedures, including the
completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer
committed to diversity.
To apply, visit
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Keywords: American Library Association, Corpus Christi , Assistant/Associate Librarian, Cataloging and Metadata, Other , Corpus Christi, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!