RN - Cath Lab
Company: Driscoll Children's Hospital
Location: Corpus Christi
Posted on: January 9, 2021
General Purpose of Job:The Cath Lab Nurse administers
peri-operative care for patients undergoing procedures using
general anesthesia, sedation, and local anesthesia when appropriate
in the Cath Lab. These procedures include but are not limited to a
cardiac cath, electrophysiology study, and radiology special
procedures in the Cath Lab. The patient care requirements include
those of infant, child and adolescent patient populations as well
as the adult. The Cath Lab nurse also performs other duties and
responsibilities other than providing direct patient care as
directed by the Cath Lab Manager.This position is full time with
on-call responsibilities for nights and weekends (24/7 every other
week). The Cath Lab nurse is expected to be in the facility within
30 minutes of receiving the call for an emergency case.The Cath Lab
nurse, utilizing the nursing process, plans and delivers effective
patient care within the Texas scope of practice and within the
frame work of Driscoll Health System's vision of excellence and
integrated care delivery. The Cath Lab nurse complies within the
established standards of practice, policies, and clinical
guidelines reflective of evidence-based best practice. The practice
of the Cath Lab nurse contributes to creating an environment that
is patient-focused, family-centered, and is designed to provide
continuation of care even after the procedure is over and after
discharge.Essential functions and behavioral expectations:To
perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; employees
will perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned
by the immediate supervisor and/or hospital administration as
required.Communication - Conveys information and shares ideas using
the appropriate techniques to reach different audiences; promotes
understanding and open information sharing. Listens actively;
solicits and gives constructive and honest feedback. Is sensitive
to the needs, ideas, and feelings of others. Develops and maintains
rapport with others. Adheres to confidentiality guidelines.
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with
patient and family using individualized interventions to ensure
patient comfort and dignity.
- Identifies barriers to learning, develops and implements
education plan based on assessed patient/family needs.
- Uses clear, closed loop communication that enhances team
information sharing and decision making.
- Uses chain of command to obtain appropriate health care
response as an advocate for the patient.
- Functions as a patient/family advocate, seeking direction as
needed to provide safe, effective, efficient, and timely care.
- Initiates appropriate referrals to the healthcare team based on
assessed patient needs.
- Documents timely and accurately in the electronic medical
record to reflect patients' plan of care and response to
interventions.Customer/Patient Focus-Understands and anticipates
the needs of both internal and external customers. Meets customer
needs while remaining a good steward of organizational resources.
- Performs initial and ongoing focused assessments to analyze
actual, potential and critical changes in the patient's condition
and follows through with appropriate reporting and actions.
- Develops, implements, and modifies an individualized plan of
care that reflects cultural aspects as appropriate of
illness/hospitalization to meet patient needs and diagnoses.
- Prioritizes, plans, organizes and directs care of assigned
- Employs strategies to promote health and involves the patient
and family in healthcare decisions and care as appropriate.
- Evaluates and reports pertinent patient response to
interventions based on evidence-based best practice.
- Evaluates progress toward attainment of expected outcomes and
revises plan as necessary
- Administers medications and other therapeutic treatments per
clinical guidelines and orders; recognizes abnormal responses to
medication therapy and initiates corrective therapy.
- Intervenes appropriately after correlating clinical picture to
therapeutic treatment plan.
- Selects and utilizes appropriate equipment, devices, and
supplies based on the patient's needs and treatment plan.
- Ensures the correct functioning of equipment, identifies
deficits and reports appropriately.
- Participates in clinical research by following specific
- Integrates ethical provisions in all areas of practiceTeamwork-
Fully participates in maintaining a positive team environment that
is conducive to customer satisfaction. Builds trust among
co-workers, focusing on accomplishing hospital and departmental
goals. Works effectively with a diverse group of people in pursuit
of the organization's goals. Shifts personal goals when necessary
to focus on group objectives. Looks for ways to help others and to
support their work. Initiates warm transfer techniques to refer
customer service concerns to the right individual; does not display
"it's not my job" attitude. Values others' contributions, and shows
respect for all individuals throughout the organization. Can be
counted on by others.
- Demonstrates flexibility in staffing and scheduling to meet
- Supports real time staffing decisions and assignments for the
- Supports goals through participation and compliance in unit
activities and decision-making.
- Participates in improving patient care by engaging in reviewing
and supporting practice change based on evidence-based
- Maintains and respects relationships, and builds rapport with
peers and leadership.Accountability- Takes responsibility and
ownership for delivering results through personal initiative and
commitment. Willing to make recommendations and assume additional
responsibilities. Organizes work and uses time efficiently. Takes
the initiative to find additional work during slow or downtimes.
Recommends innovative ways of doing work more efficiently and
- Complies with and supports regulatory and organizational
policies and professional standards.
- Completes required ongoing development and
education/competency/certifications as required.
- Recognizes personal limitations and seeks guidance when
- Participates in Quality Improvement.
- Identifies trends in patient care outcomes for QI monitoring,
practice change, and/or staff education.Leadership- Exhibits
confidence in self and others, inspiring respect and trust. Reacts
effectively under pressure, and motivates others to perform well.
Demonstrates the ability to change behaviors and plans to meet
rapidly changing/ competing job demands (new or unusual
situations). Receives change as a challenge. Revises plans to meet
- Ensures safe care by using effective communication and
interactions with the health care team.
- Identifies conflict and helps to initiate resolution, seeking
assistance when appropriate.
- Delegates appropriately, and oversees delegated tasks to
unlicensed assistive personnel.
- Assists with changes in unit needs during a crisis situation
and works collaboratively to re-establish unit function after a
- Participates in review of unit response to a crisis
situation.License, Education and/or Experience:BSN
preferred.Current RN license in the State of Texas.Certificates,
- BLS required upon hire
- PALS and ACLS preferred or must be obtained within 6 months of
hire and continuously maintained.
- Preferably has either at least 1-2 years of pediatric
experience in either the Cath Lab, CV surgery, PICU, PACU, or
Inpatient Cardiac care.
- Preferably has pediatric congenital heart
- National certification in specialty preferred or must be
attempted within 3 years of completing orientation and if
successful, continuously maintained.Classification:Full-time
Regular (72+ hrs/pp)Work Schedule:Days
Keywords: Driscoll Children's Hospital, Corpus Christi , RN - Cath Lab, Healthcare , Corpus Christi, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!