FIRE & SAFETY MANAGER
Company: The GEO Group, Inc.
Posted on: November 16, 2021
Summary Responsible for effective facility safety and loss
prevention programs. Ensures compliance with all current safety
regulations and provides consulting and guidance to facility
management. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors and enforces both corporate and facility-level safety
policies. Develops local safety procedures for the benefit of
employees, inmates/detainees/patients/residents, outside
contractors and visitors.
- Conducts regularly-scheduled safety inspections within and
throughout the facility including the physical plant, equipment and
company vehicles. Makes recommendations to address unsafe
conditions or unsafe practices and, with approval, initiates
corrective action. Re-inspects as required to observe ongoing
- Conducts initial as well as ongoing safety training for all
levels of staff as well as inmates, detainees, patients, and
- Conducts training and mentoring for less-experienced Fire and
Safety personnel based in other GEO facilities and participates in
compliance audits of other facilities.
- Controls the introduction and use of hazardous chemicals in all
departments including food service, maintenance, housing units,
laundry, vocational programs, transportation, and recreation. Is
responsible for facility-wide Monitors Material Safety Data Sheets
- Evaluates the need for personal protective equipment and
monitors usage and effectiveness.
- Establishes and controls the facility's sanitation and hygiene
standards (waste products, surface contaminants, biological
hazards), air quality, noise-level, and illumination
- Monitors and ensures that facility fire protection system and
safety equipment are fully functional. Conducts or arranges for all
scheduled testing as required by the organization's insurers,
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) or client
- Works with the facility's senior management team to develop a
written Emergency Plan and conduct at least one simulation per
year. Serves as the operational liaison with community emergency
responders. Adopts all relevant Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA) Incident Command guidelines.
- Conducts scheduled fire drills across all shifts as determined
by facility or insurance policies.
- Responsible for the safety and industrial hygiene aspects of
audit compliance including correction of any deficiencies.
- Responsible for the facility's safety budget.
- Conducts monthly safety committee meetings as established by
the Facility Administrator.
- Conducts investigations of accidents or near accidents
including determining cause, assessing property damage, and
preparing reports with recommended corrective actions.
- Ensures the accuracy of the accident recording system or
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) log. Analyzes
accident trends and recommends remedies.
- Reviews all on-site construction and contracted repairs
activities to ensure they are in compliance with all safety
policies and regulations.
- Is on-call 24/7 for facility emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
- Bachelor's degree supplemented by training or education in the
principles of occupational/industrial health and safety and two (2)
years of experience in a correctional safety role or (5) years of
work experience in the military or other industry involving fire
safety, occupational health or loss prevention. (A combination of
education and work experience may be taken into consideration based
on management's discretion.)
- Certification in fire and safety procedures within two (2)
years of entering position.
- Extensive knowledge of appropriate local, state and federal
health and safety laws and regulations including OSHA and
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, site plans and procedure
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence and to speak
effectively before groups of employees.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software
typically used by the department.Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: The GEO Group, Inc., Corpus Christi , FIRE & SAFETY MANAGER, Executive , Robstown, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!